Friday 20 November 2009

Glazed

The bloody engine light has come on in my car again. It came on a few weeks ago, so I drove up to my mum and dad's so I could take it into my dad's work (car dealership with garage) to get it checked. By the time I got there the light had turned itself off, and my dad said I just had to wait for it to come on again. And this evening it did. I was kinda hoping it would just go away: that if I ignored it, somehow the problem would miraculously solve itself. This is something I used to like to do a lot, but when you have a child it's not really the most sensible way of dealing with things. I have cut my ostrich-like behaviour down to a bare minimum, and this really isn't the situation to start behaving like a strange bird again. I think partly I want to bury my head about this because I got the car from my dad, and he and my mum do so much for us that I feel guilty presenting him with more work on my behalf. Especially since I know we probably won't be able to afford the repairs ourselves, and that my dad will have to sort it out for us. I hope my little car is ok and that the 'engine malfunction indicator' light has just come on by accident, or is nothing too serious.

I still feel like I'm in a bit of a daze without Calla here. I kinda lost track of this week and I can't believe it's Saturday tomorrow already. We'd made loose plans to go up and visit my family on Sunday if Calla was here, so I guess we could stick to that at least, as it ties in well with getting my car seen to. I want to go to Bluewater while we're there (it's like 15mins from their house) and start my search for a new pair of boots. My last pair finally gave up the ghost after 9 years and I haven't found a replacement yet. I was trying to explain to Bobby why I find it so hard to choose a new pair. Basically, if we were millionaires I would have multiple pairs of boots to go with every different outfit. But we're not, and so the pair of boots I choose has to be versatile enough to match different outfits and occasions. I am asking a lot out of one pair of boots, particularly as I have stupid chicken legs (read: really skinny) and need a pair that will fit my calves and not make me look like I'm wearing wellies. I don't want a high heel, I don't want chunky heels, not too rounded in the toe, proper knee length, preferably with some sort of buckle/strap option and of course a zip not lace-up. I failed my search last year and spent last winter without a pair of boots, which is not something I wish to repeat. Bootmakers - don't let me down again!

2 comments:

  1. Awww no! I hope your little car is okay.

    I hate boot shopping too. I don't currently have a winter coat or any boots and these things are a must for the impending winter of snowy doom. I actually did look for a coat last week, in lots of shops in a mall when we went to Albany... and Danielle found a really nice one, by Miss Sixty in a consignment place called the Burlington Coat Factory (YOU WILL LOVE IT! Organised Jumble Sale!) but the ones I found I liked, in a variety of brands did not do up over my epic boobs. Even the J-Lo brand ones, which I thought might have been a litlte bit more accomodating. OH hang on, I realised as I typed this that Jlo has a bum not a big rack. Oh well. My boot issue is that I have size 10UK feet, size 12US (women) so no where stocks any. And of course if I want to look remotely female doing so in boots is not going to be an option. Sad face.

    ReplyDelete
  2. don't get my started on boots! I have the chunky calves & size four/five feet so I have never been able to find a pair that fit my legs without my feet swimming around in the bottom! I see myself buying waterproof leggings this year.

    I hope your car is OK. I remember ours breaking down & us having to leave it outside our flat for half a year until we could afford to fix it.

    ReplyDelete